Thursday, January 18, 2007

Blogging as Procrastination

This is my very first blog posting--and, as a Jewish woman who feels like a Jewish child--or at least a girl--I'm almost giddy with the thought that someone other than the recipients of my copious emails might be read my musings. My husband, who is a rather famous person with blogs that millions of people read, posts ponderous articles every night, and gets paid for his punditry. But me....well, I am on deadline for a book, and instead of writing am persisting in the time honored past-time of...PROCRASTINATION.
Has anyone out there ever procrastinated by going on the internet? To look up things that fascinate or lure you (I don't mean lurid lures, either--I happen to enjoy finding flatware on Crate and Barrel and other such mundane pursuits--or cameras that I am hesitant to commit to but really should just go ahead and buy...) Well, instead of looking up items, leaping from site to site, comparison to comparison, I am now procrastinating by posting my very first blog.
I am feeling anxious about spending time doing this but continue to write. I have a deadline for my book of only a few months, and I am afraid of being judged, and therefore hesitate to even write it. I have written five books previously, one of which actually went to number ONE on the Los Angeles Times best seller list, really. Nonfiction. And yet, now, I want to do anything BUT write my book. So I start this blog, and I will check if anyone has read it, as a means to...shall I euphemize? "take a break" from my "work." I do work; I do write. But avoidance is nearly as consuming. Phone calls that must be made. Errands that cannot wait. Must check email. Must clean the kitchen, do the laundry...oh, I've only got 15 minutes till I have to pick up my son, so I can't possibly start in with something NOW.
Procrastination. Isn't that another word for "BLOG"???

7 comments:

  1. Oooh, may I have the honor and pleasure of being your first post? Such a joy to have you share your musings with us! We shall look forward to more blogging of the procrastinating ilk -- and fear not judgment, I'm sure your posters will show you the same courtesy, kindness, compassion, and gentle care with which they would hope their own postings be met. But I would be remiss if I neglected to share this thought with you: mayhap you would wish to consider using this device as an incentive of sorts to carry you forward toward your book-esque goal, perhaps restraining yourself mightily from daily blogging until, say, you've focused on your writing for two continuous hours of no phones, no visitors, no shopping, no pickups (family matters excluded, of course...). We gleefully look forward to your sharing your glimmerings with us in this bright new corner of the e-zone, so blog on, dear one, and ta ta for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh MY! What a wonderful first comment to receive. And as you notice, I am reading it rather than writing what I must! Thank you for such encouragement...which I treasure. And of course you're right, I must restrain myself from blogging until it can be a REWARD! Getting your comment is a huge one; a great reward and incentive. Thank you--I can see this world of blogging will be addictive! Well...it's better than EATING as a reward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sympathize with the procrastination past-time! I am procrastinating right now - I should be doing other things, but of course - it's much more fun to spend "virtual" conversation time with my friends! Come back and tell us that you had some success in your book-ish chore...I will be cheering you on, because I know you have important things to say! You can do it...I have to wade through "To Kill A Mockingbird" essays from my beloved seven students. My reward will be after I've thoroughly read two of them, I'll check your blog and comments as a reward myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sympathize with the procrastination past-time! I am procrastinating right now - I should be doing other things, but of course - it's much more fun to spend "virtual" conversation time with my friends! Come back and tell us that you had some success in your book-ish chore...I will be cheering you on, because I know you have important things to say! You can do it...I have to wade through "To Kill A Mockingbird" essays from my beloved seven students. My reward will be after I've thoroughly read two of them, I'll check your blog and comments as a reward myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry I posted that comment twice by being to anxious in my "click." Oops...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry SouthEnd light, I got an extra thrill to think there were FIVE comments! Heh Heh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I'm so excited that you're blogging. I can't wait to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete